It’s Mother’s Day! And though the ultimate role reversal is an old idea, it’s still the one that your mom will cherish the most. So spend the day cooking for her. Are you thinking, “But what do I cook?” Isn’t it just the happy co-incidence that we’re writing an article telling just you just that:
Starter: Mushrooms stuffed with Bacon
If you want to begin with a sinful starter, nothing will be more perfect than this recipe!
You will need: 3 strips of bacon, 6 large mushrooms, I tbsp butter, ½ a chopped onion, 1 clove of
garlic, 3 ounces cream cheese, 3 ounces blue cheese, 1/3 cup bread crumbs.
1) Chop the mushroom stems. Cook the bacon till crispy and put it on oil-absorbent paper. Add butter to the same pan. Once it has melted, add the chopped mushroom stems, onion and garlic. Cook for 15-20 minutes, till the onion has caramelised.
2) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Blend the onion mixture with the cheeses and bread crumbs, and add it to the mushroom caps. Bake these in the over for 10-15 minutes, until lightly brown.
Main Course: Chicken Casserole
This simply chicken and spring onion recipe is no nonsense, no fuss and as healthy as can be.
You will need:
Skinless chicken thighs, 1 tbsp oil, 2 sliced spring onions, 2 tbsp plain flour, 2 chicken stock cubes, 2 large carrots, 14 oz potatoes (halved if they’re too big), 7 oz frozen peas, 1 tbsp grainy mustard, herbs to garnish, like parsley, chives, dill or tarragon.
1) Put some water to boil in a kettle or in a pan. Fry the thighs in oil in another wide pan till they brown. Add the stock cubes and whites of the spring onion with the flour, and stir in about 750 ml of the hot water that has been boiled. Toss the carrots and potatoes in and let it simmer. Then cover it and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
2) Remove the lid and let it cook for 15 more minutes. Then throw in the peas, the green parts of the spring onion, the mustard and the seasoning. Let the flavours settle, and your casserole is ready!
Dessert: Cornmeal Cookies with Pink Glazing
Little hearts for your mom to show her some love!
You will need:
2 cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup yellow cornmeal, ½ teaspoon coarse salt, 1 cup unsalted butter, 1 large egg, 1 ¼ tsp vanilla extract, ½ cup confectioner’s sugar, 1 or 2 drops red or pink food coloring.
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl – flour cornmeal and salt. In another bowl, work with the wet ingredients – beat the butter and ½ cup granulated sugar first until they make a creamy mixture, then add egg and 1 tsp vanilla. To this, gradually add the dry ingredients mixture until it is lump-free. The dough is ready.
2) In a small bowl, place the ¼ cup granulated sugar. Make small lumps of dough and coat them with the sugar. Place lumps on a baking tray and flatten them. Use a cookie-cutter to make a heart-shaped impression on each. Now bake for 10 minutes, till cookies are golden at the edges. Rotate the sheets halfway.
3) Take a small bowl. Add the confectioner’s sugar, the vanilla, 1 ¾ tsp cold water and the food coloring. With a spoon, add this glaze to the heart impressions. Let the cookies cool and set.
We’re sure your mom will enjoy a meal cooked by you anyway, but with this combination, it’s bound to be splendid. Have a Happy Mother’s Day!
This entry was posted on Thursday, May 10th, 2012 at 11:32 am and is filed under Features and tagged with Chicken, cooked, cookies, corn, food, health, idea, meal, Mother's Day, receipe. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
Watch this video to find out why AllDayChemist.com has globally developed into one of the most trusted and loved online pharmacy stores on the web today and gets two thumbs up us too!!
Don't take our word for it. Here's what hundreds of other customers have had to say about their experiences with AllDayChemist
"You people never fail to amaze me. I ordered the 15th and my meds arrived the 23rd. Now hows that for service. I treasure each and every one of you. Thank you so much"
"I must have visited a dozen or so online pharmacies and spoke to many online people for references when trying to decide which one could be trusted to buy from. The one that stood out was AllDayChemist! My order got to me in under 2 weeks including US/NY customs holding it for 3 days. I am so grateful to have found a pharmacy I can trust with my money and the proven delivery. Way to go ADC!"
-Valencia in Texas
"Absolutely the best place to buy medication online. Inexpensive beyond belief and exceptional service ALWAYS!! Love these guys!"
Calculate Your BMI
The Healthy Times Blog is your online portal to great health and better living featuring the latest content surrounding health issues with tips, advice and all you need to live healthy. While the topic of health is often dealt with in highly detailed medical jargon and cumbersome texts, the Healthy Times Blog will deliver your content web-style! Plain, simple, light and engaging...the way web reading is supposed to be.
Subscribe & Stay Healthy, Wealthy & Wise